A bunch of news from the development of Xfce 4.12 !
Since my previous post in november (read it !) , many things have happened.
First, the most awaited news … wait for it… a date has been decided ! 4.12 will released by the last week end of February 2015 ! (yes, 1 week from now)
Now, I would like to draw your attention to a list of threads on the xfce4-dev mailist :
- Listing our current forces : This thread has helped a lot to grant privileges on git, bugzilla and xfce internal services to more people. Now it’s easier to give access to a new contributors !
- A proposition to do regular releases for translation updates
- A Xfce mirror is now available on GitHub
- Discussions around the 4.12 default Gtk+ theme. Maybe the ‘new’ xfce-refresh from ochosi
- About gtk-xfce-engine, the decision has been made to drop the gtk3 engine part completely, and leave creating themes to themers https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-February/031084.html
- Participation to GSoC 2015 ?
- In order to attract new contributors to Xfce, a “list of easy bugs” is now available on the wiki
- 4.12 String freeze will be the 20 February to let translators do their job https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-February/031127.html
- New discussion about the port to GTK3. Note: some components (libxfce4ui, xfce4-panel etc) already have a partial support of gtk3.
- In other news, Graeme Gott’s Whisker Menu plugin is now an official Xfce project! Andrzej’s PulseAudio plugin also joining the family!
- The critical bug list has almost been eradicated, huge congrats to all developpers :)
Core Apps :
- The intelligent panel hiding feature (see my previous post) has been released in 4.11.2 !
Oh wow, many commits, such features ! You can read the 4.11.3 announcement here
- Add titleless maximization feature.
- Client Side Decoration (CSD) support ! (Compositor need to be enabled). A screenshot with and without on gedit (an application that need CSD)
- Windows preview in alt+tab (Compositor need to be enabled too).
- Nice, right ? :)
- Release of 4.11.4
- Add touchpad support with libinput (yes, already !)
- Better monitor and multi monitor support
- Add Gtk+ theme palettes in the appearance dialog (see screenshot)
- Add previews for icon themes in appearance settings (see screenshot)
- Bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes !
- The “logind runtime detection to support suspend/hibernate” patch has been merged.
- Release of 4.11.1
- Add support for the GTK 3 bookmarks file,
- Bugfixes, support for binary file size units
- Release of 1.6.4
- Fixes, dependencies update etc
- Release of 4.11.1
- Not many exciting changes for this release, mostly translation updates, small fixes and code tweaks.. 4.11.0
- Support of imgur uploads ! Yes !
- Release of 1.8.2 . Thank gaston !
- Big cleanup of UI, with new treeview mode, general UI/graph overhaul and lot of bugfixes)
- Release of 1.1.0 with all theses changes. Thanks gaston, ochosi and Cavalier
- The famous “Please bring back the tray icon” bug got some attention, with a patch from Eric to re-add a tray icon, it need extended testing though
- Release of 1.4.2
Panel Plugins :
Some love for panel plugins, from Harald Judt and Landry Breuil, mostly build/bugfixes and translations updates :
- xfce4-systemload-plugin 1.1.3 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2014-November/000343.html
- xfce4-netload-plugin 1.2.4 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2014-November/000344.html
- xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.5 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2014-December/000347.html
- xfce4-eyes-plugin 4.4.3 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2014-December/000348.html
- xfce4-cpufreq-plugin 1.1.1 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2014-December/000349.html
- xfce4-verve-plugin 1.0.1 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2015-January/000355.html
- xfce4-indicator-plugin 2.3.3 https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-announce/2015-January/000352.html
As you can see, xfce development is more active than ever !
So be prepared to be amazed by 4.12 in a few weeks !